CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Day My Life Changed... Forever!

At about 12:30am on Thursday July 24th, 2008 I woke up thinking something was going on. I woke up again at 1:30am, had a small amount of spotting and KNEW something was going to happen. By 3:30am I was up for the day and timing contractions. I knew these were different than the ones I'd had previously and that today was going to be the day. After a little over an our of them being at 10 min apart consistently I decided I should get some rest now if I could. I went back and laid down and did my best to sleep between them. By the time 5:30 rolled around I felt Jason roll over and I let him know he'd be missing work that day.

It seemed like all of a sudden my contractions jumped to 7 min. apart... then to 6 which was when I started getting ready to go to the hospital and by the time we got there they were a steady 5 min apart. We parked and and I waddled into Triage where I was checked and monitored for an hour. When she did my exam I was at 3 centimeters dilated and, it felt like it was happening REALLY fast. After the hour was over she checked me again and wanted me to walk for an hour. At this point I was 4 1/2 centimeters dilated and couldn't get out of bed, let alone walk. The nurse called Janice and next thing I know I am waiting for a nurse to take me to my labor and delivery room.

My IV was started downstairs and by the time I got up to my room the nice anesthesiologist man was walking in the door to give me my epidural. Next thing I know I am leaning over on Jason and having my epidural placed. Dr. Frank was fabulous. Just a few minutes later my mom is coming in the room and we are just waiting. Jason decided to run home and get a few things while we were waiting.

Janice came in shortly after Jason left to check me and I am at 7 centimeters. They were thinking about breaking my water but Elle was face up and they wanted to see if she would flip over first. Two minutes after Janice left I look at my mom and say "Welp, my water just broke." The nurse came in and checked me... sure enough! Water was broken.

They decided to have me labor in a couple of different positions to see if Elle would move on her own. Thanks to Dr. Frank I was able to be on my hands and knees unsupported which is what we think helped Elle to turn over.

At some point during all this madness, Katie arrives. She was out of town and called me from the airport to let me know she was on her way. I was really thankful to have her there and glad she didn't miss it!

After a couple of hours the nurse comes in to check me. Next thing I know she is telling me it's time to call Janice and let her know we are ready.

It felt like a dream. It still feels like a dream.

She had me do some pushing before Janice arrived and I had little progress. Once Janice got there I think I felt a little more at ease and I was able to start making significant progress while pushing. I remember Janice telling Jason and my mom to look at the baby's head and I remember Jason touching her head and talking to her. There were lots of encouraging words and I am so happy that everyone I wanted to be there was. I also remember that it was SO hard to keep going but I knew I had to. 30 min later my baby girl was being placed on my tummy and we are cleaning her off. She didn't even cry. She sat there and looked at me and held my finger while I toweled her off.

After about 5 min or so they took her away to the warming table so the nurse could have a look at her. They practically had to make her cry. Her Apgar scores were 9/9 a healthy baby and we couldn't ask for more. She was weighed in at 8lbs 7oz and 21 inches long and her time of birth was 6:24pm.

The next thing I know, I am trembling. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably. It took Janice a good 20 min to fix me up after I delivered the placenta (which I got to look at and it was just as cool as I thought it would be!). So back to this shaking... my body felt like it wasn't my own any more. This is one of those things that no one tells you about when you ask them about their experience giving birth. I didn't know to expect it but I do know it started to go away when I looked over and saw Jason holding our baby girl and she was just so content looking at him.

My mom left at some point to go get us dinner. I was STARVING. While she was out the nurse helped me to the bathroom and gave me recovery instructions which included giant diaper looking things and mesh underwear... just when you thought you couldn't feel any sexier!

The nurse gave Elle her first bath with Jason and just when they finished my mom came back with food and I started to feel human again. Then it was time to be wheeled up to our recovery room and be parents for our first night ever.

We have truly been blessed with an amazing daughter. She is so calm and patient and is nothing short of content as long as she can eat and sleep. We are in love with her and even more in love with each other. I can't imagine life any other way.

8 comments:

Suzanne Anas Jurich said...

Ahhhh!!!!! What a beautiful story!! I am so so happy for you,as you already know. I can't wait to meet your little one ans see you as a momma!!!!! Congratulations, again!!!

Tabitha said...

That was beautiful Natalie! I am so happy for you and your little family! It only gets better and better!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet and beautiful story to tell her! Congrats to you and your new family!

M is for Miller said...

I love it! I could read it over and over again!!!! I'm so proud of you and J! You're going to be such great parents to that beautiful baby! I love you!!!!

Kellie said...

So happy for you guys!

maui8908 said...

Congrats again! I can't wait to meet little Elle at a baby GTG.

Muffin Cake said...

BABY BABY BABY!!!

Brandi said...

Awww! I'm so happy for you and your new family, Natalie! ((HUGS))